An inescapable phrase in the news lately is “trigger bans.” Have you ever wondered what they are all about? Trigger bans (sometimes referred to as trigger laws) are state laws that prohibit abortion which were once nullified by Roe v. Wade’s fatal ruling, but now that the Supreme Court has sent the issue of abortion back to the states, these trigger bans are going into effect once again.
Right now, 13 states have trigger bans in effect – now that Roe is out of the way, these states can limit or abolish abortion according to the wishes of their constituents. However, this isn’t happening without a fight from the abortion industry.
Instead of picking a political fight where legislators are voted into office to uphold the view of the people, abortion interest groups seeking to circumvent voters by filing lawsuits on lawsuits to fight trigger bans.
This is where they are attacking pro-life laws now:
- Mississippi: 2022-06-27-MS-State-Court-Complaint_Stamped.pdf (reproductiverights.org)
- Utah: Planned Parenthood Files Lawsuit in Utah to Block Trigger Ban
- Louisiana: Louisiana judge blocks state trigger law after abortion providers sue – UPI.com
- Idaho: verified_petition_for_writ_3.pdf (plannedparenthood.org)
- Kentucky: EMW Women’s Surgical Center v. Cameron: Complaint | American Civil Liberties Union (aclu.org)
- Texas: ViewFilePage.aspx (aclutx.org)
- Florida: Florida Planned Parenthood Action on Twitter: “BREAKING: Leon County Judge Cooper just ruled that Florida’s 15 week abortion ban, is unconstitutional & he will be issuing a temporary injunction. This is not the end — we likely have a long fight ahead of us. @FAPPA will continue to keep you updated on abortion access in FL. https://t.co/HEpxKpMs8e” / Twitter
- Michigan: Whitmer Files Lawsuit and Uses Executive Authority to Protect Legal Abortion in Michigan
When you hear the abortion lobby carry on about Roe getting reevaluated in court, just remember that they don’t mind COURT (since they clearly have their lawyers on speed dial), but they just don’t like losing. That’s why we’re tracking this issue closely with grassroot efforts that are fighting for pro-life laws that were already in place to remain.
Want to help us in these efforts? Click HERE to find out more.