January was a busy month for the Pro-Life Generation. While Congress geared up and began the last half of the 118th Congress, Students for Life of America (SFLA) and Students for Life Action (SFLAction) participated in the annual pro-life march in Washington D.C., as well as the National pro-life Summit, two pro-life bills passed the House, and several great pro-life bills were introduced. Below is a list of pro-life legislation that was introduced in January:
- Protecting Life and Integrity Research Act by Sen. Hyde-Smith (R-MS) – To prohibit the Federal Government from conducting, funding, approving, or otherwise supporting any research involving human fetal tissue that is obtained pursuant to an induced abortion, and to prohibit the solicitation or knowing acquisition, receipt, or acceptance of a donation of such tissue.
- Let Pregnancy Centers Serve Act by Sen. Hyde-Smith (R-MS) – To amend part A of title IV of the Social Security Act to clarify the longstanding authority of States to use funds made available under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program to fund life-affirming services to empower pregnant women to choose life for their babies instead of abortion, and for other purposes.
- Pregnancy Center Support Act by Sen. Hyde-Smith (R-MS) – To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a credit against tax for contributions to qualifying pregnancy centers.
- Supporting Pregnant and Parenting Women and Families Act by Rep. Fischbach (R-MN-7) – To prohibit the Administration for Children and Families (ACF) from finalizing, implementing, or enforcing (with respect to certain pregnancy centers) a provision of a proposed rule modifying the standard for a state’s reasonable use of funds under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.
- Abortion Funding Awareness Act by Rep. Jim Banks (R-IN-3) – To require states to report information on Medicaid payments to abortion providers.
- Women’s Right To Know Act by Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) –
- Protecting Life in Foreign Resistance Act by Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) – To restrict the availability of Federal funds to organizations associated with the abortion industry.
- GUARD Act – by Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) – To amend chapter 25 of title 14, United States Code, to prohibit the use of Coast Guard funds and facilities to perform abortions and to prohibit the provision of travel and transportation allowances to obtain abortions.
- Abortion is Not Healthcare Act by Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) – To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide that amounts paid for an abortion are not taken into account for purposes of the deduction for medical expenses.
- Protecting Life in Health Savings Accounts Act by Sen. Lee (R-UT) – To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to prohibit treatment of certain distributions and reimbursements for certain abortions as qualified medical expenses.
Have questions regarding these pieces of legislation? Contact Savanna Deretich who is our Government Affairs Coordinator at [email protected].